Definition of “personal information”
Personal information is information that can be used to directly or indirectly identify you. Personal information also includes anonymous information that is linked to information that can be used to directly or indirectly identify you. Personal information does not include information that has been irreversibly anonymised or aggregated so that it can no longer enable us, whether in combination with other information or otherwise, to identify you.
The kinds of information that we collect
Depending on the products and services you use, we collect different kinds of personal information from or about you.
- Information you provide. We collect the personal information you provide—such as your name or email address—when you use our products and services, create an account, Contact Us, participate in an online survey, participate in community discussions or chat rooms, apply for employment, interact with us at in-person events, or otherwise interact with us.
- Information about payments. If you make a purchase, we collect some personal information in connection with the purchase, but we do not collect or store your payment details. Payment details entered on our secure forms are passed directly to payment gateway providers and in these instances we do not see your credit card details. If you make payment by phone then we do see your credit card details. Credit card numbers are used for processing payment only and are not retained for marketing purposes. We do not store credit card details.
- Information about use of our services and products. When you visit our websites or applications, we may collect information about the type of device you use, your device’s unique identifier, the IP address of your device, your operating system, the type of Internet browser that you use, usage information, diagnostic information, browsing information, session summary information, file attributes (including attributes for photos, videos, music, and documents), and location information from or about the computers, phones, or other devices on which you install or access our products or services. We may gather some of this information automatically. Where available, our services may use GPS, your IP address, and other technologies to determine a device’s approximate location to allow us to improve our products and services.
- Information from third parties. We may collect information from third parties, including business partners and marketing agencies. This includes your contact information from marketing partners when we engage in joint marketing or co-branding activities, your IP address or location information from service providers to offer certain products and services relevant to your location, and data from your social networks to authenticate your product use with us, or that you grant permission to our products or services to access.
How we use this information
Generally speaking, we use personal information to provide, improve, and develop our products and services, to communicate with you, to offer you targeted advertisements and services, and to protect us and our users.
Cognition Software Limited collects, processes, and determines how to process your personal information as data controller for the following purposes:
- Providing, improving, and developing our products and services. We use personal information to help us provide, improve, and develop our products, services, and advertising. This includes using personal information for purposes such as data analysis, research, and audits. Such processing is based on our legitimate interest in offering you products and services and for business continuity. If you enter a sweepstakes, contest, or other promotion, we may use the personal information you provide to administer those programs. Some of these activities have additional rules, which may contain further information about how we use personal information, so we encourage you to read those rules carefully before participating.
- Communicating with you. Subject to your prior express consent, we may use personal information to send you marketing communications in relation to Cognition’s own products and services; communicate with you about your account, transactions, or employment requests; and inform you about our policies and terms. Also subject to your prior express consent, we may share your personal information with third-party partners who may send you marketing communications in relation to their products and services. If you no longer wish to receive email communications for marketing purposes, please Contact Us to opt out. We may use your information to process and respond to your requests when you contact us.
- Offering and measuring targeted advertisements and services. Subject to your prior express consent, we may use personal information to personalise your experience with our products and services, on third-party websites and applications, and to determine the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns.
- Promoting safety and security. We use personal information to help verify accounts and user activity, as well as to promote safety and security, such as by monitoring fraud and investigating suspicious or potentially illegal activity or violations of our terms or policies. Such processing is based on our legitimate interest in helping ensure the safety of our products and services.
Cookies and similar technologies
You can remove or reject cookies using your browser or device settings, but in some cases doing so may affect your ability to use our products and services.
How your information is shared
We make certain personal information available to strategic partners that work with us to provide our products and services or help us market to customers. Personal information will only be shared by us with these companies in order to provide or improve our products, services, and advertising; it will not be shared with third parties for their own marketing purposes without your prior express consent.
- Service Providers. We share personal information with companies that provide services on our behalf, such as website hosting; email services; marketing; sponsoring of sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions; auditing; payment processing; fulfilling customer orders; data analytics; providing customer support; conducting customer research and satisfaction surveys; and other services that assist in selling our products and services. These companies are obligated to protect your information and may be located wherever we operate.
- Corporate Affiliates and Corporate Business Transactions. We may share personal information with all Cognition Software Limited-affiliated companies. In the event of a merger, reorganization, acquisition, joint venture, assignment, spin-off, transfer, or sale or disposition of all or any portion of our business, including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings, we may transfer any and all personal information to the relevant third party.
- Legal Compliance and Security. It may be necessary—by law or as a result of legal process, litigation, or requests from public or governmental authorities within or outside your country of residence—for us to disclose personal information. We may also disclose personal information if we determine that for purposes of national security, law enforcement, or other issues of public importance, disclosure is necessary or appropriate. We may also disclose personal information if we determine in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect our rights and pursue available remedies, enforce our terms and conditions, investigate fraud, or protect our operations or users.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete, and up-to-date. Depending on where you live, you may have the rights described below.
You can help us maintain the accuracy of your information by notifying us of any changes to your account details. You can do this via the secure account details management web pages.
You have the right to access, correct, or delete the personal information that we collect. You are also entitled to object to or restrict, at any time, the further processing of your personal information. You have the right to receive your personal information in a structured and standard format. You may lodge a complaint with the competent data protection authority regarding the processing of your personal information.
To protect the privacy and the security of your personal information, we may request information from you to enable us to confirm your identity and right to access such information, as well as to search for and provide you with the personal information we maintain. There are instances where applicable laws or regulatory requirements allow or require us to refuse to provide or delete some or all of the personal information that we maintain.
You may Contact Us to exercise your rights. We will respond to your request in a reasonable timeframe, and in any event in less than 30 days.
If you close account, we have no obligation to retain your personal data and we may delete any or all of your personal data without liability. We may retain, however, information related to you if we believe it may be necessary to prevent fraud or future abuse, if required by law, or for legitimate purposes, such as analysis of non-personal information, account recovery, auditing our records, or enforcing our rights and obligations under our agreements.
Third party websites and services
Data security and retention
All information you provide to us is stored on our secured servers in the UK.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
It is important that you take precautions to protect against unauthorised access to your Cognition Software Limited products, account credentials, and computers or other devices. If you feel that the security of your account or personal information has been compromised, please immediately Contact Us. Please be aware that, despite our efforts, no security system is impenetrable. In the event of a security breach, we will promptly notify you and the proper authorities if required by law.
We do not knowingly collect, use, or disclose information from children under 18. If we learn that we have collected the personal information of a child under 18, we will take steps to delete the information as soon as possible. Please immediately Contact Us if you become aware that a child under 18 has provided us with personal information.
How to contact us with questions
Cognition Software Limited,
Date of last revision – 14 May 2018
Definition of a “cookie”?
Cookies are small pieces of text used to store information on web browsers. Cookies are widely used to store and receive identifiers and other information on computers, phones, and other devices. We also use other technologies, including data we store on your web browser or device, identifiers associated with your device, and other software, including web beacons and pixel tags, for similar purposes. In this Cookie Statement, we refer to all of these technologies as “cookies.”
Types of cookies
- Strictly necessary cookies: These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with our websites and services and to enable essential features, such as providing shopping cart or product application functionality. If you disable these cookies, we will not be able to fulfil your requests.
- Performance and functionality cookies: These cookies collect information about how you use our websites and services and allow us to remember the choices you make while browsing. The information these cookies collect allows us to optimise our websites and make them easier for you to use, and it does not personally identify you. If you disable or opt out of these cookies, you may not be able to use certain features of our websites, applications, and services, and it may reduce the support or information that we can provide you.
- Analytics and customization cookies: These cookies collect information we use in aggregate form to help us understand how our websites, applications and services are being used and how effective our marketing campaigns are, and to help us customise our websites. If you disable or opt out of these cookies, you may not be able to use certain features of our websites, applications and services, and it may reduce the support or information that we can provide you.
- Advertising cookies: These cookies collect information about your browsing or shopping history and are used to make advertising messages more relevant to you. They perform functions like preventing the same advertisement from continuously reappearing, ensuring that advertisements are properly displayed, and in some cases selecting advertisements that are based on your interests. We may share this information with third parties to help create and deliver advertising personalised to you and your interests. If you disable or opt out of these cookies, you may not be able to use certain features of our websites, applications and services, and it may reduce the support or information that we can provide you.
- Social networking cookies: These cookies are used to enable you to share pages and content on our websites and services through third-party social networking and other websites. These cookies may also be used for advertising purposes.
We consider the listed “Strictly necessary cookies” and “Performance and functionality cookies” essential to our website’s performance, smooth running and continued improvement. By using our site, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.
|PHPSESSID||End of session||Cognition Software Limited||WordPress sets session cookies|
Performance and functionality cookies
|__cfduid, __zlcmid||1 year||Zopim||Allows you to continue a live chat with us as you view different pages on our site, or if you come back to the site later|
Analytics and customization cookies
|_ga||2 years||Google Analytics||Used to distinguish users|
|_gid||40 seconds||Google Analytics||Used to distinguish users|
|_gat||40 seconds||Google Analytics||Used to throttle request rate|
Social networking cookies
Third party cookies
Controlling and opting out of cookies
Your browser or device may offer settings that allow you to choose whether browser cookies are set and to delete them. For more information about these controls and to exercise your cookie preferences, visit your browser or device’s help material. If you choose to reject cookies, as noted above, you may not be able to use certain features of our websites and services.
Do not track
Date of last revision – 14 May 2018